Monday, March 7, 2011

The Man I Will Marry

It was a chilly Wednesday night, March 2, 2011....I arrived at In the Venue at approximately 5:30, one hour before doors opened. This is what it looked like when I got there. Once the doors open, people were wrapped around that building in a long, long line.

I was the 5th person in line. Mary was supposed to meet me at about 5:45, but her special Dietitian dinner thing took longer than expected. She showed up around 6:15, just enough time for me to run and grab some food from the little taco vendor across the street, from where I had taken that picture, actually (amazing food, by the way). I scarfed down a miraculous chicken quesadilla. Yes, miraculous.

They actually opened the doors on time (unheard of, in my experience), and me and Mary headed straight to the 21+ section so we could get wasted sit down on chairs instead of being in the middle of a sweaty, young crowd. We were the first ones up there, and grabbed 2 of maybe 4 chairs and sat down front and center, best seats in the house.

The first opener was the lovely Lara Jansen.


 Me and Mary loved this song:



Next was Cary Brothers. First name, Cary. Last name, Brothers. Not "The Cary Brothers."

And then Cary and Lara doing a song together:

My best friend in the whole wide world, Sarabeth Klingman, introduced me to Cary Brothers when we lived together at Raintree in 2008-2009. I fell in love with a few of his songs, particularly Blue Eyes and Ride.



Ignore the weird blue screen with lyrics, and just pay attention to the wonderful song.



And hey is that Brittany Snow (girl from the movie John Tucker Must Die) in this cheesy, weird music video? Hm, I think that's funny. Again, it's the song I like....not so much the video.

At last.......
Joshua Radin!!!





A few of my favorite songs:
(1) From his first album, We Were Here, I really like "Only You"



Once again, don't pay attention to the video. Just the soft, intimate music!

(2) From his Second album, Simple Times, two favorites: "I'd Rather Be With You"



And "Sky" featuring the ever adorable Ingrid Michaelson, although Josh sadly did not perform this, nor was Ingrid present even if had decided to.



(3) From his third album, the one this tour is promoting, The Rock and the Tide: "Road to Ride On"



And "You Got What I Need"



This song has a whole new meaning ever since he confessed onstage that he wrote the song for two of his friends who were trying to conceive their second child. They told him that they would often listen to his first album while doing the deed, and wanted more music similar to the first album to help create another human being. To which he said, that is weird, but anything for my two best friends. And wrote this song. Funny, huh?

Me and Mary were pleasantly surprised to find everything running smoothly and on time, so that we were back home by 11pm. I think it helped that Lara didn't have a band, so it didn't take a lot of time to set up her one and only keyboard. And Cary used the same bandmates that Joshua did so the entire stage was already ready to go from the time the show started at 7.

Oh and fun fact about Cary and Josh....they were good friends before Josh decided to do the music thing. He wrote a song one day for his long-time girlfriend who he felt like he needed to break up with. So he wrote this song (pay attention to the lyrics....ouch!):



Anyway, he then took the song to Cary and played it for him. Cary thought it was great, convinced him to record it in Cary's bedroom....and his career took off. Pretty cool, I think. I read the part about his ex-girlfriend in an interview he did, and the rest I learned from the Cary and Josh themselves at the concert.

One complaint...I was really embarrassed by the crowd of SLC because there was a section of people that was being wayyyy noisy, rude, and annoying! This is not the kind of show where you scream and mosh and jump up and down and act like a complete idiot. I avoid that kind of crap. This was a very soft, almost accoustic kind of sound which kind of requires silence in order to best enjoy the show. BUT. There was this constant murmuring going on off to the side from a whole crowd of people. Josh pretty much had to compete with them for attention. Like he had to try and sing over the noise. Really embarrassing, and really rude, and really annoying. I don't know why they paid money to come, but it really downgraded my experience of the show.

Anyway, I love love love all of his music, even despite the clear evolution from the sound of his first album to the second to third. They are all so different, but all so amazing. And it's actually so hard for me to pick favorite songs, because it just depends on the day really. I love this man, and will....I repeat WILL bear his children one day :-)

1 comment:

  1. I listened to every single one of these tracks. It took like an hour. But I did it, because I love you the mostest. haha. I liked almost all of them - I didn't like "Ride", I don't have a reason. But your music has been the best part of my morning so far :)

    ReplyDelete