Monday, April 18, 2011

Livin' the Dream

Me and Mary had a lovely weekend. On Friday, we ate at Mama Chu's...some of the best for reals Mexican food you can find in the area. We redboxed the Hurt Locker and watched it as Mary cleaned to check out of the apt. Yes my dearest fellow Mormon friends *gasp* it's Rated R. I'm just gonna stop you right there and tell you to quit your hypocritical judgements :-)
Ok so anyway I saw the movie a year ago and really enjoyed it, so convinced Mary that it was about time she watched it.



Well she doesn't like sad movies. I really love depressing movies, as crazy as that sounds. It's just more real, and I tend to feel like I can relate more...not that I can relate to the Hurt Locker, obviously. I used to love chick flicks just like any other girl, but really can't stand most any of them anymore. They're usually all the same, and the acting always sucks, the plot always sucks, the dialogue always sucks, and chick flicks just always suck. Unless...it's like 500 Days of Summer and it's a tad more realistic with an ending where everything doesn't work out. And of course it doesn't hurt that the cutie-pie Zooey Deschanel is thrown in there :-)

Anyways, I think Mary did enjoy it, even though it was depressing.

On Saturday, we got our fat, jiggly behinds to gym for an awesome spin workout that always turns Mary into a tomato. I work just as hard as she does, but man her face turns so red and that girl needs to figure out how to get some oxygen when she's doing a tough cardio work-out. Then we came back and eventually got our hair cut, pretty much exactly the same because we have morphed into one human being. It's true. We ate at an awesome bbq place called Dickey's, and went to go see the movie The Conspirator. 

That movie was really pretty great, and I would recommend it. Despite some of the poor casting calls, like a minor roll to that terrible pathetic excuse for an actress, I don't remember her name but she's that Gilmore Girls/Traveling Pants girl. The girl is so unconvincing in her roles, unless it's a stupid role that only someone as untalented as her would agree to take on....like a Gilmore Girl or someone who is crazy and wears magic pants that make Greek men fall in love with her. Anyway, it's pretty hard to miss and not appreciate how Robert Redford clearly made the script pretty applicable to today's atrocious suspension of the inconvenient parts of our constitution (*cough* GTMO situation *cough* .... oh and *cough* the recent caving by the Obama Administration on the issue of denying suspected terrorists trial by jury and instead issuing military tribunals *cough*). Even if you don't/prefer not to see the modern-day comparisons, I think you would appreciate the script for it's embracing of American constitutional values anyway. Oh and btw this is not a place to debate me, so don't try. These are just my thoughts out loud so shoot me an email if you must. 




That night, I moved some more stuff up into the apt in SLC, and Sunday morning I went to my first post-BYU singles ward for church, and decided after scoping out the scene that I will in fact die alone. And I'm beginning to be okay with that, as long as I'm compensated with a bangin, satisfactory career. Well I want that anyway, even once I'm married.

Anyway, so Sunday night, I'm on my way to my car to drive back to Provo, and I heard some guy in a car yell out to another guy a formal Arabic greeting, and I got so excited that I dropped my box and went running and yelled to him btihki Arabiiiiiiii???? meaning you speak Arabic???? of course he said yes, and I then met the man's whole family, who came from Iraq. They invited me to their home anytime, and even if they were just being polite, you better bet your bottom dollar I will go to their home!!! Lately I have yearned for even just a taste of the Middle East like no one's business, even if it just means being able to speak the language again. I miss it so much. I really want to live/work out there for a while. Like really really bad. I have applied to jobs in Palestine, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq. I would maybe not actually work in Iraq, but the others I would in a heart beat. Aaahhhh I just want to go back soooooooo effing bad. Even if it means I go unaccompanied (meaning without a man/husband), and that by the time I get back I'll be too old for any decent Mormon guy who meets my loooooong list of qualifications.........and I will truly die alone. I just want me some Arab culture!! Is that too much to ask???

Anyway, as of right now, I will continue my job at the Olive Garden, where I serve fake Italian food to people who eat entirely too much alfredo sauce and make my life a living hell. Thank heavens for great co-workers, right??

Oh and...Jon Kyl contracted AIDS from having sexual relations with John Boehner [not intended to be a factual statement] <--- watch Mon and Tues episodes of the Colbert report from the week of April 11 to understand.

2 comments:

  1. If Robert Redford had actually acted in the movie, then it would have made it that much better1 He used to be one hot actor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing such a good job keeping up the blog for me and writing funny posts at that. One thing though, I don't appreciate how you just breezed by the dinner at Dickies. I'm still thinking about how yummy that was and it's like you don't even care. Interesting. :) Anyways, way funny post, see you tomorrow.

    -The Tomato

    ReplyDelete